Connect with us

Transfers

Newcastle sign Barnes for €44m from relegated Leicester

Published

on

English Premier League club, Newcastle United, have completed their swoop for Leicester frontman Harvey Barnes after a protracted pursuit.

The 25-year-old wide-man, who has been in the Magpies’ sights for sometime, has signed a five-year contract after the two clubs agreed an undisclosed fee which it is understood could eventually amount to £38 million.

Newcastle said in a statement: “Newcastle United are delighted to announce the signing of winger Harvey Barnes for an undisclosed fee.

“The 25-year-old has signed a five-year contract.”

Barnes, who travelled to Tyneside last week to undergo a medical, is the third addition to a squad which finished fourth in last season’s Premier League with AC Milan midfielder Sandro Tonali and Odense striker Yankuba Minteh, who has been sent out on loan to Feyenoord, having arrived earlier this month.

A graduate of the Foxes’ Academy, he made 187 appearances for the club, which was relegated to the Sky Bet Championship at the end of last season, and is an FA Cup winner as well as a full England international.

Barnes, who scored 13 Premier League goals for City during the 2022-23 season, said: “I’m delighted. It’s an amazing club and for me it’s a massive opportunity to come and be involved in a successful team that’s doing exciting things, so I’m absolutely buzzing to be here.

“I think it’s an attacker’s dream to come into a team like this; it’s high paced, it’s physically demanding, but you can see the rewards of that with the chances and the goals scored, so I think I’ll certainly suit the style.”

Barnes’ capture is reward for the Magpies’ persistence and head coach Eddie Howe was delighted to have finally got his man.

Howe said: “Harvey is an exciting talent who I have admired for a long time, so I’m delighted to welcome him to Newcastle United.

“He is strong, quick and very good technically, and he showed last season in particular that he has an eye for goal from wide positions.

“He will add a different element to our play and we look forward to working with him as we prepare for the season ahead.”

Author

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Transfers

Osimhen agrees terms with Chelsea, set to complete move

Published

on

ThePapers.ng can exclusively report that the reigning Africa footballer of the year, Victor Osimhen is already packing his bags for a

ThePapers.ng can exclusively report that the reigning Africa footballer of the year, Victor Osimhen is already packing his bags for a life in Stamford Bridge as both clubs and the player’s representative in advance talks.

The Nigerian striker has been one of Serie A’s most prolific goalscorers and star players for a few years now, and his 31-goal haul across all competitions in 22/23 helped Napoli to their first Scudetto in decades.

His contract includes a £110 million release clause, which clubs have been reluctant to meet thus far, but the forward isn’t exactly short of suitors.

According to ThePapers the Napoli striker is ready to accept Chelsea’s offer as the new club coach admires the talent of the former U-17 striker.

In an exclusive phone call with a source within Osimhen’s camp, confirmed the player will head to England any moment from now to complete the move.

“Victor is going to Chelsea,” our source revealed.

“He’s not going to Saudi even though the Saudi deal is too big to reject but he has made up his mind to keep shinning in Europe and with a competitive club but not PSG.”

Other reports have recently claimed that Osimhen sees Chelsea as his best possible option to leave Napoli in the coming weeks, so this is perhaps one to watch before deadline day on August 30.

 

 

 

Author

Continue Reading

Transfers

Leny Yoro set for Man United medical after £50m deal agreed

Published

on

Lille defender Leny Yoro is flying to the UK for a medical with Manchester United after a deal worth over £50m was agreed.

Lille defender Leny Yoro is flying to the UK for a medical with Manchester United after a deal worth over £50m was agreed.

Man Utd have agreed personal terms in principle with the 18-year-old.

It was thought Real Madrid were the Frenchman’s preference, but Man Utd have been working to convince him to join.

There is still work to do as a deal is not fully done, but Man Utd are now optimistic they can get it over the line.

Everton defender Jarrad Branthwaite and Bayern Munich’s Matthijs de Ligt are players Man Utd still admire – and remain options, subject to having budget and squad space available as window evolves.

 

Author

Continue Reading

Transfers

Man City not ready to sell €90m-rated Barcelona target

Published

on

Julian Alvarez might be just 24 years old but has already completed football. A two-time Copa America champion, World Cup winner, Champions League winner, Premier League winner, and Club World Cup winner, the Argentinian has won almost every major trophy at both club and international levels.

Despite playing for one of the best teams in the world, Manchester City, Alvarez wants to leave this summer. Lack of game time has prompted the ex-River Plate striker to make this decision and look for a new challenge.

Not surprisingly, Alvarez is not short of suitors. European giants like PSG, Barcelona, and Atletico Madrid are interested in signing the Argentinian superstar with Los Colchoneros even approaching the player’s entourage regarding a deal.

Despite the player’s desire to leave, as per an exclusive report from CaughtOffside, Manchester City decided not to sell Julian Alvarez this summer. It’s quite a surprising decision from a club who are generally known not to hold a player against his will.

The report adds that the player is open to staying at City if it comes to it but is keen to have more playing time next season. Pep Guardiola rates the player highly and has assured him of being a key part of his plans for next season. In fact, the legendary Barcelona manager called Alvarez an ‘incredible, exceptional player’ last season.

The presence of a demigod-like figure in Erling Haaland has prevented Alvarez from having the game time he deserves as a striker at Man City. Pep used him to good effect as a #10 last season during Kevin de Bruyne’s injury absence.

With a contract until 2028, the Premier League defending champions are in no particular urgency to sell him. He has scored 36 goals and 18 assists in 103 appearances for Man City so far and will want to add to the tally next season.

Even if he was available, it’s unlikely that Barcelona will be able to sign him this summer due to the club’s financial predicament. The Catalan club has set their sights on Nico Williams which in itself would be a tough operation to pull off.

Thus, missing out on Alvarez is not something that is going to affect Barcelona’s plans this summer. It might be a blessing in disguise as the club might be in a better position to try and sign him next summer, should they decide to. For now, it seems like the Argentinian striker is set to stay put at Man City.

 

Author

Continue Reading

Trending