Connect with us

News

FG in the process of handling over Obafemi Awolowo stadium to Oyo government- Dare

Published

on

The immediate past Minister of Youths and Sports Development, Chief Sunday Dare, has stated the process for the federal government to hand over the Obafemi Awolowo Stadium, Oke Ado Ibadan to Oyo state government is at an advanced stage.

Dare, who is the Agba-Akin of Ogbomoso made this disclosure while receiving an award of Lifetime achievement” during the “Veterans Day” which was part of the activities for 2023 Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) Oyo state council Press Week.

The former minister while speaking at the event held at NUJ Press Centre on Thursday, said that in the next several weeks, it is expected that the President Bola Tinubu-led administration will approve the handling over to Oyo state government.

He added that through his efforts as minister, federal government had already handed over Ahmadu Bello Stadium in Kaduna to Kaduna state government.

Dare, while speaking further commended Oyo state governor, Engineer Seyi Makinde for the helping to move this along.

He added that the governor should be commended for being direcltly involved in the process of handling over of the stadium to the state government.

He described the award given to him by the NUJ as a motivation for him to do more.

“This is an award that will motivate me to do more. I am happy that you are given me this award today. It is coming from my state and my own constituency, the media.

“Media plays significant roles in the society. You have been doing well and I want you to continue to discharge your duties without fear or favour”.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Men charged with murder of Kaizer Chiefs’ Luke Fleurs remanded

Published

on

By

Men charged with murder of Kaizer Chiefs’ Luke Fleurs remanded

Six suspects arrested over the murder of Kaizer Chiefs player Luke Fleurs have been remanded by the Roodepoort magistrate’s court on Friday.

Ndumiso Moswane, 26; Fernando Siva, 25; Nhlakanipho Dlamini, 21; Franky Xaba, 25; Maredi Mphahlele, 36; and Thembinkosi Hlomikhawu, 31, have been charged with murder, possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition, robbery with aggravating circumstances and defeating the ends of justice.

The suspects are expected to apply for bail during their court appearance next Friday.

All six suspects have opted to apply for the services of Legal Aid lawyers.

State prosecutor Arnold Limekhaya said the state intends to oppose the bail applications.

“We will oppose bail,” he told the court, indicating the state was yet to get the profiles of the men and their bail statements.

The 24-year-old Kaizer Chiefs defender and South Africa under-23 international was hijacked and fatally shot in the chest at a petrol station in Honeydew last Wednesday.

It is understood that the assailants drove off in Fleurs’ vehicle.

Continue Reading

News

Lagos FA to debut Nigerian Ex-International cup

Published

on

By

Lagos FA To Debut Nigerian Ex-International Cup

The Lagos State Football Association (LSFA) has concluded arrangements to organize a tournament involving Nigerian ex-internationals and their clubs’ teammates back in the day.
The Lagos State Football Association Chairman, Hajj Gafar Olawale Liameed, disclosed that the ex-internationals coming together to play football will inspire lots of youths.

“We believe in our ex-players. LSFA is determined to carry along ex-internationals and drive the game forward at every level,” Hajj Gafar stated.

“The tournament will see former Nigeria internationals based in Lagos adopt teams. For instance, if an ex-international is based in the area of Dino SC he can adopt them.

“The competition tagged ‘The Nigerian Ex Internationals Cup’ would see teams play on a home and away basis in the first phase before we proceed to the knockout stage.

“We want to have a clear identity and organize lots of programs. This is one of our innovations and we hope to take blessings from the Lagos State Government and Nigeria Football Federation,” the football technocrat enthused.

Hajj Gafar also reiterated LSFA’s commitments to the proper development of football in the centre of excellence.

“We’re determined to lead that development at every level and have created a robust plan for doing so using all our resources and knowledge.”

Meanwhile, former Nigeria internationals like Joseph Yobo, Yakubu Aiyegbeni and Wasiu Ipaye have already thrown their weight behind the innovation by the LSFA.

Continue Reading

News

NFF appoints Manu Garba as Golden Eaglets’ Head Coach

Published

on

By

The Board of Nigeria Football Federation has appointed former U17 World Cup winner Manu Garba as Head Coach of the Nigeria U17 boys, Golden Eaglets.

The Board of Nigeria Football Federation has appointed former U17 World Cup winner Manu Garba as Head Coach of the Nigeria U17 boys, Golden Eaglets.

 

Garba had, in the same role, led the Golden Eaglets to win the FIFA U17 World Cup for Nigeria in the United Arab Emirates in 2013 – Nigeria’s fourth triumph at that stage.

 

Garba’s world-conquering squad in 2013 included Kelechi Iheanacho, Taiwo Awoniyi, Isaac Success, Musa Mohammed, Chidiebere Nwakali and goalkeeper Dele Alampasu.

 

The squad, which finished as runners-up at the African U17 Championship in Morocco after a penalty shootout defeat by Cote d’Ivoire, defeated Mexico 6-1 in their opening game, drew 3-3 with Sweden and hammered Iraq 5-0. In the Round of 16, they ran Iran ragged 4-1, dispatched Uruguay 2-0 in the quarter-finals and trounced Sweden 3-0 in the semi-finals, before they dislodged Mexico by the same margin in the final to lift the trophy.

 

The former Nigeria international will now immediately resume the role and take charge of the team’s preparations for next month’s WAFU B U17 Championship, taking place in Ghana.

 

Continue Reading

Trending