Connect with us

News

How Professional Boxing Body Helping Nigerian Boxers Fulfill Potentials

Published

on

Nigerian Boxing Board of Control (NBB of C) Secretary-General Remi Aboderin says various boxing promotions approved by the organization are aimed at giving Nigerian fighters different professional ranks.

Aboderin was speaking on Sunday at the Lagos Boxing Initiatives Championship under the slogan “Pugilists at Work”.

According to him, a boxer like the new West African light heavyweight champion Segun “Success” Olanrewaju has a future chance of being recognized on the continent and being number one in his weight class.

” You can see that NBB of C has raised the bar for professional boxing in the country. There are now many promoters involved in this game and all these fights aim to give our fighters a chance to break through the rankings of the various boxing organizations, because only then can they conquer the title on the continent Commonwealth or become world champion,” he said.

Aboderin advised boxers across the country to stay away from crime, take their training seriously and make sure they don’t have unruly supporters.
According to him, if they (boxers) stayed focused, they had no limits and listened to the trainer’s instructions

.Meanwhile, Segun “Success” Olanrewaju knocked out Simon Olayinka in the third-round bouts to become the new West African Boxing Association Light Heavyweight Champion, while Lekan Muibi beat Sunday “Golden Boy” Ajuwa to become the new National Light Heavyweight Champion.

Also, Obinna Mathew stopped opponent Chidi Eluma in their catch weight challenge contest, and Kazeem “Fear Sam” Samsondeen defeated Isiaka Omo Akin in the second round of the National Super Welterweight Challenge contest, as did Soldier Boy, Tosin. Osaigbovo scored a TKO in the third round over Ogunwole Ayorinde in national lightweight bout

In the women’s fights, rising boxer Ayisat Oriyomi recorded a third-round technical knockout against Shade Adeyanju, while former amateur boxer, who made her pro debut on Sunday, Fadilat Tijani recorded a first-round technical knockout against Zainab Bakare.

All bouts were sanctioned by the Rafiu Ladipo-led Nigerian Board of Control (NBB of C).

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

They still bully me after 14 years – Aiyegbeni on missing tap-in for Nigeria

Published

on

By

Former Super Eagles striker Yakubu Aiyegbeni has cried out over the bullying he suffers in the hands of Nigerians over the goal he missed 13 to 14 years ago.

Nigerian football fanatics are finding it difficult to forget the events of June 22, 2010 when Aiyegbeni missed a tap-in during a World Cup game between Nigeria and South Korea.

The miss came when Nigeria was trailing the Koreans 2-1 in their final Group A match at the Moses Mabhida Stadium, South Africa.

The ‘Yak’ would later score from the penalty spot but Super Eagles fans were, at the time, unable to move past the unbelievable miss.

In a recent interview, the video was shared on social media platform, X, and he cried out that he is still getting messages from angry fans who are demanding an explanation of how he missed the tap-in with the goalkeeper and defenders out of the way.

“I still get messages from people. Different messages. I remember one was sending a message last week and he was like ‘how do you explain that goal missed to you daughter Kayla’ he mentioned my daughter’s name ‘Kayla’. I was like 13 to 14 years ago and people still think about that,” he said.

“I got a message today and someone was like ‘you’re the worst Super Eagles striker’ because of that particular goal I missed. They never think about all the other goals I’ve scored.

“They never think about when I scored goals in Sudan when nobody thought we’d qualify for Korea Japan 2002. We went to Sudan. Nobody ever thought we’d qualify because the weather there was crazy. If we get a draw or lose we’re out.

“There I scored 2 goals. Julius Aghahowa scored one and Jay Jay Okocha, ‘pa Jay’ scored another one. We won 4-0. That gave us the ticket and went to Korea-Japan 2000.

“But people in Nigeria never speak about how I made them qualify but didn’t go to the World Cup. I was shocked. I played 99.9% of every game to qualify Nigeria for Japan/Korea and I was dropped.”

Continue Reading

News

Inter Miami making Messi work too hard – Coach, Martino

Published

on

By

Inter Miami are expecting too much work from their Argentine star Lionel Messi, coach Gerardo Martino said on Friday, ahead of the team’s Florida derby clash with Orlando City.

Miami are unbeaten in their opening two games, with a home win over Real Salt Lake followed by a draw at the Los Angeles Galaxy on Sunday.

But with a busy run of fixtures for club and country coming up for Messi this month, Martino says the team need to find a way to reduce the eight-times Ballon d’Or winner’s workload.

“I feel that in these last two matches, he has expended too much energy, and that is also my responsibility to make sure the team operates in a way that we can use him in the best way,” Martino told reporters.

Messi has been playing in a relatively free role, behind former Barcelona team-mate Luis Suarez, often floating deep to find the ball and then seeking to drive his team up the field.

It was Messi’s stoppage time goal that earned Miami a point at the Galaxy but Martino says the performance took a lot out of the 36-year-old.

“I’ve been discussing some things with him and what concerns me the most is the day-to-day and how he is recovering game by game. I feel that in these first two matches, we have relied on him too much, which has caused him significant fatigue in both games,” he said.

The former Argentina and Mexico national team coach said the team have to re-find a way to provide Messi service closer to goal.

“In the Leagues Cup game against Orlando (last season), he often found the ball in the final quarter of the field and was able to finish the play, he scored from inside the area. That’s what we need to get back to, the team finding him to make plays and sometimes finding him for the finishes,” he said.

Miami are hoping their latest Argentine signing, midfielder Federico Redondo will have his paperwork resolved in order to make his debut on Saturday.

 

Continue Reading

News

Lagos FA Cup Kicks Off With No Sponsor, 80 Clubs Eye Star Prize

Published

on

By

Chairman Lagos State Football Association, LSFA, Ogboni Fouad Oki says this year’s Lagos State Challenge Cup popularly known as Lagos FA Cup would go ahead without sponsor.

The much awaited Lagos FA Cup would kick off on Saturday 2 March 2024 across the designated centers.

No fewer than 80 clubs are expected to participate in this year’s edition.

Although Winners Golden Bet, a well known Betting Company has been sponsoring the Lagos FA Cup more than six years, but the company is not part of this year’s edition which gives football stakeholders a lot of concerns.

Oki explained that he is not disturbed that no company or individual has partnered with the association for FA Cup but remained optimistic that the competition would get a sponsor before it gets to the quarter final stage.

“I am not too bothered about the sponsorship of the competition.If you look at the country presently, many companies are still struggling to survive but i want to assure the participating teams and football fans before the tournament reaches quarter final, sponsor would surely come.

“We the organising committee are still working on the possibility to get one or two sponsors on board.Like i said i am not really worried and the most important things is that the competition would kick off on Saturday,”he said.

The Lagos FA boss expressed satisfaction with the number of teams that are participating in this year’s edition.

He disclosed that the state has largest number of entries among the states in the country and charged the teams that would represent the the state to do well in the Federation Cup and possibly win the trophy.

“Lagos has number of entries compare to other states that have less than 10 teams in their state’s FA Cup.If we have such numbers of teams registered and i expect any team that would represent Lagos should make us proud and bring the Federation Cup back to the state,”he said.

Continue Reading

Trending