News

I’m Gone If South Africa Fail Afcon Test, Vows Broos

Bafana Bafana coach Hugo Broos has made it clear that he’ll vanish into thin air and never set his foot in Mzansi again should he fail to qualify for next year’s Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon).

Bafana need just three points from their last two Group K fixtures against Uganda and South Sudan to qualify. Bafana face Uganda at Kampala’s National Mandela Stadium on Friday (3pm SA time). Four days later, SA host South Sudan at Cape Town Stadium (6pm).

“You know, when we lose two games … five minutes after the game I am on a flight to Belgium, you can be sure of it, you can be sure of it! If we can’t win … okay Uganda [Friday] but not against South Sudan at home. I tell you I immediately take a flight and you’ll see me never back again,” Broos told a press conference at Dobsonville Stadium before their first training session of this camp Monday.

Bafana are second in Group K on eight points, two behind leaders Uganda. Drawing both games would still be enough for Bafana to qualify even if Congo, who are on four points, win their last two against South Sudan and Uganda away and home on Thursday and next Tuesday respectively, thanks to the fact that CAF uses head-to-head system to separate teams tied on the same number of points.

I think when you see the performances of Devin, and Mayambela is injured, I don’t see another player who can replace him.

Bafana beat Congo 5-0 at home and drew 1-all with them away. Broos said he had already familiarised himself with CAF rules to avoid the embarrassment of 2015, where Bafana celebrated thinking they’d qualified, only to learn later that they didn’t because of the head-to-head system.

“Two draws qualify us because in the game against Congo, we are the winner. I looked in the previous weeks what the rules are, if there are equal points … because I know a few years ago, I think SA was dancing on the pitch and they were not qualified, so we can’t make a mistake,” Broos said.

Meanwhile, injured Mihlali Mayambela has been replaced by Stellenbosch’s Devin Titus in the squad. “I think when you see the performances of Devin, and Mayambela is injured, I don’t see another player who can replace him,” Broos said.

“He is having a very strong season … he scores, he’s very quick, he can dribble players, so he’s a dangerous player. I think you can’t say anything bad about the choice of Devin Titus.”

 

Abdul Noah Ocholi

Recent Posts

President Federation Cup: Ibom Angels, Fortress Ladies Clash Top Of The Bill In Round of 32

  All eyes will be trained towards the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium, Enugu, on Monday 25th May…

14 hours ago

Morocco 2026: Flamingos Jet Out To Abidjan For Clash With Guinea

  Nigeria’s U17 girls, the Flamingos, will depart for Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire on Wednesday morning…

15 hours ago

PAMOJA 2027: Super Eagles Up Against Madagascar, Tanzania And Guinea Bissau

  Nigeria will tango with familiar foes and joint-hosts Tanzania, Madagascar and Guinea Bissau in…

15 hours ago

Portugal World Cup 2026 Squad: Cristiano Ronaldo Leads Star-Studded Selecao Into Final Global Mission

Portugal are heading into the 2026 FIFA World Cup with belief, experience and one of…

22 hours ago

Jurrien Timber Facing Race Against Time As Ronald Koeman Issues Worrying Injury Update

Arsenal and Netherlands defender Jurrien Timber is now facing a major race against time after…

22 hours ago

Pep Guardiola Furious Over Manchester City Exit Leak As Late-Night Player Call Rocks Club

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has reportedly been left furious after news of his planned…

22 hours ago