Premier League
ABSOLUTE DISRESPECT! How Sir Alex Ferguson Was ‘BARRED’ From Man Utd Dressing Room
Manchester United’s football board, which includes Sir Alex Ferguson, have been asked to refrain from entering the players’ dressing room, according to reports.
On Tuesday, it emerged that United have terminated Ferguson’s £2.6 million-a-year ambassadorial role as part of their cost-cutting measures.
Former United striker Eric Cantona, one of Ferguson’s best-ever signings during his 26-year reign at Old Trafford, branded the club’s decision as ‘a lack of respect’ and ‘totally scandalous’.
MailOnline reports that in addition to Ferguson’s role being axed, the 82-year-old is among the senior figures who have been instructed to stay away from the players’ changing room on matchdays.
The report claims that Ferguson has not been banned but there is a ‘collective understanding’ over who visits the players’ inner sanctum.
Leading figures at United have always been welcomed inside the changing room, even after Ferguson’s retirement, including directors and former players.
Former United captain Michael Carrick revealed that Sir Bobby Charlton, who died last year, was a frequent visitor to the players’ dressing room and that his input was welcomed.
‘He comes into the changing room after every single game, his support in unwavering’ Carrick said in 2019.
‘Ever since I came to the club that’s something that stands out- the support you’ve got from real legends and icons. Not just from this club, but throughout football.
‘Sir Bobby has been a huge support for me personally, but for every single player. Whether it is a good result or bad result he comes and shakes your hand and tells you not to worry it’ll be better next week, or well done and more of the same next week, depending on the result.’
During Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s reign, Ferguson was invited into the dressing room on multiple occasions, including after United knocked Paris Saint-Germain out of the Champions League at the Parc des Princes in 2019.
It’s great to see the boss in there,’ Solskjaer said after his side’s win in the French capital.
‘It’s understood that Ferguson’s reaction to his contract being terminated by United was ‘amicable’.
United have also made it clear that the Scot is still welcome to attend games at Old Trafford.
Earlier on Tuesday, former United defender Rio Ferdinand wrote on X: ‘If Sir Alex can be taken out, then NO ONE IS SAFE at Manchester United – anyone can get it now. Ineos sending a message to ANYONE at the club?!?
Metro
-
World Cup 20262 days agoBiggest Regrets? Michael Owen Picks Two Tournaments England’s ‘Golden Generation’ Of David Beckham & Co Should Have Won
-
Sports Analysis2 days agoPep Guardiola Admits Emotional Manchester City Exit Speech Was ‘A Disaster’
-
Transfers2 days agoMan Utd One Step Away From Finalising £43m Ederson Transfer As Manager Confirms Talks With ‘Top Club’
-
World Cup 20262 days agoGladbach’s Gio Reyna In, Diego Luna Shockingly Out Of USMNT Squad For 2026 World Cup
-
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE2 days agoIs Lindsey Heaps The Greatest American To Play In Europe? Lyon Star Chases History In Champions League Final
-
Transfers2 days agoThe Only Way Alisson Will Leave Liverpool Amid Shock Transfer Talk As John Arne Riise Sounds ‘Nobody’ Warning To The Reds
-
Transfers2 days agoMan Utd One Step Away From Finalising £43m Ederson Transfer As Manager Confirms Talks With ‘Top Club’
-
World Cup 20262 days agoMexico Player Ratings Vs Ghana: Gilberto Mora Steals The Show As El Tri Build World Cup Momentum