Transfers

RB Leipzig Include Sesko In Squad As Man Utd Pursue Transfer

Manchester United have a long-standing interest in Benjamin Sesko and need a new striker this summer transfer window after missing out on Liam Delap to Chelsea.

Benjamin Sesko is in the RB Leipzig squad for their first pre-season friendly despite ongoing transfer speculation regarding his future at the German club.

ZFC Meuselwitz are hosting the Bundesliga club this afternoon in a match to raise funds for an expansion of the fourth-tier team’s facilities. Sesko is one of four forwards listed in their squad, alongside Lois Openda, plus summer signings Johan Bakayoko and Yan Diomande.

Despite several senior players not being in Thuringia for the game, the Slovenia international is in the squad. Andre Silva, Eljif Elmas, Kevin Kampl, Maarten Vandevoordt, Peter Gulasci and Timo Werner are all acknowledged as absent by the club without them providing reasons.

A lack of training and load management are two such explanations Leipzig have given for Andrija Maksimovic and Amadou Haidara not being in the squad. Sesko, however, will be there despite significant speculation about the player’s future this summer.

Arsenal are said to have held talks with Leipzig over Sesko since last season ended. He appeared to be their primary target, but after failing to agree on a deal, they seemingly now want Viktor Gyokeres.

Manchester United have also previously tried and failed to sign Sesko. The player turned them down before joining Leipzig three years ago.

Our community members are treated to special offers, promotions and adverts from us and our partners. You can check out at any time. More info

However, his agent, Elvis Basanovic, has reportedly since paid multiple visits to Carrington and Old Trafford. That long-term interest has led to renewed links about a move finally materialising this month.

Sky Sports have said Sesko is one to ‘keep an eye on’ for United. GiveMeSport also claims the striker wants a move to United.

However, it remains unclear how they could afford to deal with Leipzig. They reputedly were unwilling to negotiate on price with Arsenal, which is why they are now going for Gyokeres, so spreading the cost over several more manageable payments, as they have to acquire Matheus Cunha, seems unlikely.

Manchestereveningnews.co.uk

Lucky Maurice

Recent Posts

President Federation Cup: Ibom Angels, Fortress Ladies Clash Top Of The Bill In Round of 32

  All eyes will be trained towards the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium, Enugu, on Monday 25th May…

16 hours ago

Morocco 2026: Flamingos Jet Out To Abidjan For Clash With Guinea

  Nigeria’s U17 girls, the Flamingos, will depart for Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire on Wednesday morning…

16 hours ago

PAMOJA 2027: Super Eagles Up Against Madagascar, Tanzania And Guinea Bissau

  Nigeria will tango with familiar foes and joint-hosts Tanzania, Madagascar and Guinea Bissau in…

16 hours ago

Portugal World Cup 2026 Squad: Cristiano Ronaldo Leads Star-Studded Selecao Into Final Global Mission

Portugal are heading into the 2026 FIFA World Cup with belief, experience and one of…

23 hours ago

Jurrien Timber Facing Race Against Time As Ronald Koeman Issues Worrying Injury Update

Arsenal and Netherlands defender Jurrien Timber is now facing a major race against time after…

23 hours ago

Pep Guardiola Furious Over Manchester City Exit Leak As Late-Night Player Call Rocks Club

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has reportedly been left furious after news of his planned…

23 hours ago