News

Ronaldo Extends Al-Nassr Contract Until 2027

Cristiano Ronaldo has signed a new two-year contract with Al-Nassr that means he will stay with the Saudi Pro League club until beyond his 42nd birthday.

The Portugal captain, 40, joined the Riyadh-based team in December 2022 after leaving Manchester United in acrimonious circumstances, having criticised the club and said he had “no respect” for manager Erik ten Hag.

Ronaldo’s Al-Nassr deal had been due to expire at the end of June and there was speculation he could leave, but that has now been quashed.

In a post on X, Ronaldo wrote: “A new chapter begins. Same passion, same dream. Let’s make history together.”

Although Al-Nassr have not added to their nine domestic titles during Ronaldo’s time at the club, they have benefited from a flood of goals from the five-time Ballon d’Or winner.

Ronaldo scored 35 times in 41 matches across all competitions last term and was the league’s top scorer for a second consecutive season.

He has managed 99 goals in 111 appearances overall for Al-Nassr and is well on his way to reaching 1,000 senior goals in his career, with a current tally of 938 for club and country.

Having helped Portugal win the Uefa Nations League a little over two weeks ago, the former Manchester United, Real Madrid, Sporting and Juventus forward will almost certainly now be targeting a sixth World Cup appearance next summer.

Ronaldo a wanted man but settled in Saudi

Only a month ago, Ronaldo posted on social media to say “the chapter is over”.

That came after the Saudi Pro League wrapped up with Al-Nassr finishing third and trophyless once again.

The comment fuelled rumours that Ronaldo was ready to leave the league where he reportedly became the best-paid player in football history with an annual salary of £177m when he joined.

Fifa president Gianni Infantino raised the prospect of Ronaldo joining a team involved in the Club World Cup after Al-Nassr failed to qualify for the extended tournament which is being held in the United States.

Ronaldo said he had received offers from participating teams but had turned them down.

The decision to stay until at least 2027, which is certain to be highly lucrative, appears to rule out any future prospect of Ronaldo returning to play at the highest level in Europe.

It remains to be seen who will be leading the first team at Al-Nassr going forward, after former AC Milan head coach Stefano Pioli left the club this week.

Bbc.com

Lucky Maurice

Recent Posts

President Federation Cup: Ibom Angels, Fortress Ladies Clash Top Of The Bill In Round of 32

  All eyes will be trained towards the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium, Enugu, on Monday 25th May…

14 hours ago

Morocco 2026: Flamingos Jet Out To Abidjan For Clash With Guinea

  Nigeria’s U17 girls, the Flamingos, will depart for Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire on Wednesday morning…

15 hours ago

PAMOJA 2027: Super Eagles Up Against Madagascar, Tanzania And Guinea Bissau

  Nigeria will tango with familiar foes and joint-hosts Tanzania, Madagascar and Guinea Bissau in…

15 hours ago

Portugal World Cup 2026 Squad: Cristiano Ronaldo Leads Star-Studded Selecao Into Final Global Mission

Portugal are heading into the 2026 FIFA World Cup with belief, experience and one of…

22 hours ago

Jurrien Timber Facing Race Against Time As Ronald Koeman Issues Worrying Injury Update

Arsenal and Netherlands defender Jurrien Timber is now facing a major race against time after…

22 hours ago

Pep Guardiola Furious Over Manchester City Exit Leak As Late-Night Player Call Rocks Club

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has reportedly been left furious after news of his planned…

22 hours ago