Connect with us

News

FIFA Fraud Trial: Sepp Blatter, Michele Platini Verdict Due

FIFA Fraud Trial: Sepp Blatter, Michele Platini Verdict Due

Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter and France football great Michel Platini will appear before a Swiss court on Tuesday to hear whether the case that finished their careers in football will end with their acquittals or convictions for corruption.

The pair, once among the most powerful figures in global soccer, will appear at the Extraordinary Appeals Chamber of the Swiss Criminal Court 2½ years after they were acquitted of fraud.

Swiss federal prosecutors rejected the decision at a lower court from 2022, leading to the new hearing in the town of Muttenz, near Basel. Both men deny the charge.

The case relates to a 2 million Swiss franc ($2.27m) payment Blatter authorised for Platini, a former captain and manager of the French national team, which was made in 2011.

Platini and Blatter said the payment was a consultancy fee paid to Platini for work between 1998 and 2002, which the Frenchman said had been partly deferred because FIFA lacked the funds to pay him in full immediately.

The affair, which emerged in 2015 when Platini was president of European football body UEFA, torpedoed his hopes of eventually succeeding Blatter at the top of FIFA.

Blatter and Platini were suspended from football in 2015 by FIFA for ethics breaches, originally for eight years. Although their exclusions were later reduced, the ban ended their careers as senior football administrators. The 2022 indictment accused Blatter and Platini of deceiving FIFA staff in 2010 and 2011 about an obligation for world soccer’s ruling body to pay Platini.

“They falsely claimed that FIFA owed Platini, or that Platini was entitled to, the sum of 2 million Swiss francs for advisory work. This deception was achieved through repeated untruthful claims made by both accused parties,” the indictment said.

The pair were cleared in the 2022 case after a judge accepted that their account of a “gentlemen’s agreement” for the payment was credible, while there were serious doubts about the prosecution’s allegation the payment was fraudulent.

Blatter, who was FIFA president for 17 years until 2015, has insisted he had done nothing wrong. Now a frail 89-year-old, he told Reuters he was the victim of a witch-hunt.

Platini, a three-times European Footballer of the Year, insisted the money was related to backpay.

“There’s no corruption, there’s no swindling, there’s nothing at all,” he told reporters at the start of the appeal.

His lawyer Dominic Nellen said the case was designed to stop Platini becoming FIFA president.

“Platini was the most likely successor to Blatter in 2015, but someone wanted him out of the way,” Nellen said. “At every turn there seems to be an attempt to stop Platini becoming president of FIFA.”

Blatter was eventually replaced by Gianni Infantino, who had worked for Platini at UEFA. Infantino owed his candidacy to the fact that Europe’s preferred candidate, Platini, was banned from football.

Infantino has denied helping to bring about Platini’s downfall, and said he only stepped up when UEFA asked him after the allegations against Platini emerged.

Prosecutors want a sentence of 20 months in jail, suspended for two years for both Blatter and Platini, and to confiscate the money.

Both sides can appeal against the judgement to the Swiss Federal Court, the country’s highest legal authority.

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Francis And Fidelia Ibhawoh Foundation Unveils New Logo, Announces 2025 Essay Competition

 

Sequel to the name change effected four years ago as published in a National Newspaper from Francis Ibhawoh foundation to ‘FRANCIS AND FIDELIA IBHAWOH FOUNDATION’, the body in a press statement reiterate it’s are pleasure to announce that the name change reflects the shared values and lifelong commitment of Francis and Fidelia Ibhawoh to Education, Community Development, and Youth Empowerment. 

“While the foundation’s name has evolved, our mission and core values remain unchanged, as we continue to strive for a positive impact in our local communities, while also empowering young people to find their voices and shape their future.”

Speaking at an event held in Lagos on the 16th of March 2025 to unveil the Foundation’s new logo, the Chairman of the Foundation, Gerard Ibhawoh states that, “the name change is more than symbolic. As it is a testament to the shared vision, values, and dedication of Francis and Fidelia Ibhawoh, whose lifelong commitment to making a difference in the lives of young people and communities continues to inspire us”.

He also announced that in line with the foundation’s commitment to fostering intellectual discourse and critical thinking, the Francis and Fidelia Ibhawoh Foundation, is pleased to announce the call for entries for the 2025 edition of its annual essay competition for undergraduates.

The 2025 Essay Competition has the theme, ‘Sports As a Catalyst for Social Change and National Development: In what ways can sports foster social inclusion, peacebuilding and youth empowerment?’

It further remarked that sports have the power to bridge divides, inspire communities, and drive meaningful change. How can we harness this power for a better society?

Entries for the essay competition opened April 01, 2025, and closes on

May 15, 2025. Winners will be announced on June 02, 2025, and with a prize money of N100,000 each for the best essays. And for further information, interested participants can reach out to:  www.ibhawohfoundation.com, and contact@ibhawohfoundation.com

The Francis and Fidelia Ibhawoh Foundation reaffirms its dedication to championing education, youth development, and community progress. As it looks forward to receiving insightful essays from young thinkers across the nation, in the bids to continue to inspire positive change.

Continue Reading

News

Aiyedatiwa Charges Team Ondo To Win Niger Delta Sports Festival

 

Governor Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa has attended the opening ceremony of maiden Niger Delta Sports Festival at Uyo Township Stadium, Uyo, Akwa-Ibom State.

The sports festival, promoted by the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), is holding in Akwa Ibom State between April 1 and 9, 2025, with states from the Niger Delta region participating.

Other dignitaries at the ceremony included the Chairman, National Sports Commission, Alhaji Shehu Dikko, who represented President Bola Tinubu; Akwa Ibom State Governor and the Chief Host, Pastor Umo Eno, Executive Director, Corporate Services, NDDC, Hon. Ifedayo Abegunde, MD/CEO, NDDC, Samuel Ogbuku, Permanent Secretary, Ministry Youth and Sports Development, Tolulope Adeyemi, among others

In his remarks at the event, Governor Aiyedatiwa commended the management of the NDDC for putting the competition together, stressing that the initiative will go a long way in promoting grassroots Sports and engaging the youths of the region.

The Governor also thanked his Akwa Ibom State colleague for hosting the competition, describing the atmosphere at the venue as electrifying.

Governor Aiyedatiwa also took time to interact with members of the Ondo State contingent at the competition.

Adressing the athletes and coaches from the State, the Governor urged them to make Ondo proud by bringing home laurels.

Governor Aiyedatiwa also charged officials of the Ministry of Youths and Sports Development to take good care of the team throughout the competition.

Team Ondo was the first contingent to arrive in Uyo, the Akwa Ibom State’s capital, for the Niger Delta Sports Festival (NDSF).

The team is made up of 313 athletes and 56 coaches, participating in various track and field sports at the competition.

The Ondo State contingent is led by Mrs. Tolu Adeyemi, the Permanent Secretary of the Ondo State Ministry of Sports and Youth Development.

Continue Reading

News

Niger Delta Sports Festival opens with glitz and glamour

 

It was an exhilarating exhibition of beauty, enchantment and the wealth of cultural diversity in the Niger Delta region at the Uyo Township Stadium on Wednesday as the inaugural Niger Delta Sports Festival (NDSF) was declared open by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu amid a special feel of splendour and magnificence.

 

The president was represented by the Chairman of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Shehu Dikko who charged the athletes to replicate the glitz of the festival’s opening ceremony in their performance during the actual competition.

 

In what was a gathering of personalities and participants from all walks of life, the much talked about opening ceremony lived up to its lofty billing – graced by the powers that be and embraced by a cheering stadium spectators and millions of TV audience across the globe.

 

In the audience were the Governor of Ondo State, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, representative of the Delta State Governor, Senator Emmanuel Aguarivwodo, state sports commissioners from the nine states, members of the National Assembly and top officials of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) led by the Managing Director, Dr Samuel Ogbuku.

 

The showpiece was about the best way to kickstart what promises to be an intense sporting event which is expected to leave a lasting legacy, not only for the host state Akwa Ibom but the Niger Delta region and Nigeria as a whole.

 

Led by the Executive Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Pastor Umo Bassey Eno, no fewer than 10,000 persons defied the torrential downpour that lasted hours to throng into the re-born sporting facility at the heart of the emerging metropolis of Uyo which is gradually becoming the hub of sporting activities in Nigeria.

 

In one voice they sang and danced in the rain to usher in a competition poised to become the major talking point in the discovery of future Kings and Queens of Sports in the continent, especially since the Niger Delta region reserves the right as one that gave birth to some of the best sporting heroes the continent of Africa can ever boast of.

 

Pastor Eno’s commitment to this cause was evident for all on the night, showing everyone why his administration gracefully accepted the hosting rights to stage the festival, stressing that this was just one of his administration’s conscious efforts at promoting sports and giving youths a chance to make a name for themselves and the nation.

 

The festival torch was lit by Olympian, Enefiok Udo-Obong and was supported by Festival Ambassadors including Victor Ikpeba, Seun Ogunkoya, Paralympian Patience Igbiti and Tamunosiki Atorudibo.

 

Afrobeat star, Phyno brought the night to an entertaining close with some of his hit songs which got the athletes cheering, chanting and dancing.

Continue Reading

Trending