Connect with us

News

Why Vinicius Jr Emerged As Fifa Best Men’s Player Of The Year

Why Vinicius Jr Emerged As Fifa Best Men's Player Of The Year

Real Madrid and Brazil winger Vinicius Jr has been named the men’s player of the year at the Fifa Best Awards.

The 24-year-old and his club boycotted the recent Ballon d’Or ceremony after missing out to Manchester City’s Rodri – but he picked up this prize in Doha.

Vinicius played a key role in Real’s Champions League and La Liga-winning campaign in 2023-24, scoring 24 goals and providing 11 assists.

Earlier in the ceremony, Barcelona midfielder Aitana Bonmati was named the women’s player of the year for the second year in a row.

This was the first time Vinicius has won the award and capped a happier finish to the season than October’s Ballon d’Or boycott.

“It seemed impossible when I played barefoot in the streets of Sao Goncalo and now I’m here,” Vinicius said.

The Ballon d’Or and Fifa Best Awards are the two most prestigious in football.

This was Vinicius’ first Fifa prize, with Lionel Messi winning the previous two awards and Robert Lewandowski the two before that.

The award – for football from August 2023 to August 2024 – was decided by a mix of public vote, one journalist from each country and the captain and manager of each national team. Each group’s vote counted for 25%.

Real Madrid were already in Qatar for Wednesday’s Fifa Intercontinental Cup final against Mexican side Pachuca at Lusail Stadium.

Spain’s Euro 2024-winning midfielder Rodri finished second to Vinicius for the award, while Real’s England player Jude Bellingham was third.

Fifa has released details on who each coach and captain voted for.

England skipper Harry Kane opted for Rodri, with international team-mate Bellingham second and Vinicius third.

Lee Carsley, who was the Three Lions’ interim boss when the votes were cast, went for Bellingham, Rodri and Barcelona’s Lamine Yamal in that order.

Scotland boss Steve Clarke and Wales manager Craig Bellamy both opted for Rodri as their top pick.

Wales skipper Aaron Ramsey went for Vinicius, while Northern Ireland captain Paddy McNair voted for Rodri.

Brazil’s captain and manager voted for Vinicius, but their Spanish counterparts both selected Real Madrid right-back Dani Carvajal.

Team of the year – Martinez, Dias, Saliba, Rodri, Haaland make cut

There were five Premier League players in the men’s team of the year, to go with five from Real Madrid (including the retired Toni Kroos) and one from Barcelona.

The players selected were Emiliano Martinez (Aston Villa), Ruben Dias (Manchester City), William Saliba (Arsenal), Dani Carvajal, Antonio Rudiger, Jude Bellingham, Kroos (all Real Madrid), Rodri, Erling Haaland (both Man City), Lamine Yamal (Barcelona) and Vinicius Jr (Real Madrid).

Martinez was named goalkeeper of the year after helping Argentina win the Copa America.

The 32-year-old has now won the best goalkeeper award twice at each of the Ballon d’Or and Fifa Best awards.

Garnacho stunner wins Puskas Award

The Puskas Award for the best men’s goal of the year was won by Manchester United winger Alejandro Garnacho for his sensational bicycle kick in their 3-0 win at Everton in November 2023.

Mohammed Kudus’ fine solo goal for West Ham in the Europa League against Freiburg was also nominated.

Until this season the award covered all football but a new Marta Award now covers the women’s game.

“I’m very proud to win this award,” said Argentine Garnacho in a pre-recorded interview.

“It’s a proud moment for me and my family. It was a special goal and I will always remember it.”

Ancelotti named coach of the year
The coach of the year was Real Madrid’s Carlo Ancelotti, who led the Spanish giants to the Champions League and La Liga titles last season.

The 65-year-old Italian won the award, which has been running since 2016, for the first time.

“I want to share this with the club, with my president and with my players, those of the best club in the world,” Ancelotti said.

Ancelotti also won the equivalent award at the Ballon d’Or – meaning Xabi Alonso was not recognised in either for leading Bayer Leverkusen to their first German double.

Most of the previous winners at the Fifa Best Awards have been Premier League bosses – Claudio Ranieri, Jurgen Klopp (twice), Thomas Tuchel and last year Pep Guardiola.

News

Francis And Fidelia Ibhawoh Foundation Unveils New Logo, Announces 2025 Essay Competition

 

Sequel to the name change effected four years ago as published in a National Newspaper from Francis Ibhawoh foundation to ‘FRANCIS AND FIDELIA IBHAWOH FOUNDATION’, the body in a press statement reiterate it’s are pleasure to announce that the name change reflects the shared values and lifelong commitment of Francis and Fidelia Ibhawoh to Education, Community Development, and Youth Empowerment. 

“While the foundation’s name has evolved, our mission and core values remain unchanged, as we continue to strive for a positive impact in our local communities, while also empowering young people to find their voices and shape their future.”

Speaking at an event held in Lagos on the 16th of March 2025 to unveil the Foundation’s new logo, the Chairman of the Foundation, Gerard Ibhawoh states that, “the name change is more than symbolic. As it is a testament to the shared vision, values, and dedication of Francis and Fidelia Ibhawoh, whose lifelong commitment to making a difference in the lives of young people and communities continues to inspire us”.

He also announced that in line with the foundation’s commitment to fostering intellectual discourse and critical thinking, the Francis and Fidelia Ibhawoh Foundation, is pleased to announce the call for entries for the 2025 edition of its annual essay competition for undergraduates.

The 2025 Essay Competition has the theme, ‘Sports As a Catalyst for Social Change and National Development: In what ways can sports foster social inclusion, peacebuilding and youth empowerment?’

It further remarked that sports have the power to bridge divides, inspire communities, and drive meaningful change. How can we harness this power for a better society?

Entries for the essay competition opened April 01, 2025, and closes on

May 15, 2025. Winners will be announced on June 02, 2025, and with a prize money of N100,000 each for the best essays. And for further information, interested participants can reach out to:  www.ibhawohfoundation.com, and contact@ibhawohfoundation.com

The Francis and Fidelia Ibhawoh Foundation reaffirms its dedication to championing education, youth development, and community progress. As it looks forward to receiving insightful essays from young thinkers across the nation, in the bids to continue to inspire positive change.

Continue Reading

News

Aiyedatiwa Charges Team Ondo To Win Niger Delta Sports Festival

 

Governor Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa has attended the opening ceremony of maiden Niger Delta Sports Festival at Uyo Township Stadium, Uyo, Akwa-Ibom State.

The sports festival, promoted by the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), is holding in Akwa Ibom State between April 1 and 9, 2025, with states from the Niger Delta region participating.

Other dignitaries at the ceremony included the Chairman, National Sports Commission, Alhaji Shehu Dikko, who represented President Bola Tinubu; Akwa Ibom State Governor and the Chief Host, Pastor Umo Eno, Executive Director, Corporate Services, NDDC, Hon. Ifedayo Abegunde, MD/CEO, NDDC, Samuel Ogbuku, Permanent Secretary, Ministry Youth and Sports Development, Tolulope Adeyemi, among others

In his remarks at the event, Governor Aiyedatiwa commended the management of the NDDC for putting the competition together, stressing that the initiative will go a long way in promoting grassroots Sports and engaging the youths of the region.

The Governor also thanked his Akwa Ibom State colleague for hosting the competition, describing the atmosphere at the venue as electrifying.

Governor Aiyedatiwa also took time to interact with members of the Ondo State contingent at the competition.

Adressing the athletes and coaches from the State, the Governor urged them to make Ondo proud by bringing home laurels.

Governor Aiyedatiwa also charged officials of the Ministry of Youths and Sports Development to take good care of the team throughout the competition.

Team Ondo was the first contingent to arrive in Uyo, the Akwa Ibom State’s capital, for the Niger Delta Sports Festival (NDSF).

The team is made up of 313 athletes and 56 coaches, participating in various track and field sports at the competition.

The Ondo State contingent is led by Mrs. Tolu Adeyemi, the Permanent Secretary of the Ondo State Ministry of Sports and Youth Development.

Continue Reading

News

Niger Delta Sports Festival opens with glitz and glamour

 

It was an exhilarating exhibition of beauty, enchantment and the wealth of cultural diversity in the Niger Delta region at the Uyo Township Stadium on Wednesday as the inaugural Niger Delta Sports Festival (NDSF) was declared open by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu amid a special feel of splendour and magnificence.

 

The president was represented by the Chairman of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Shehu Dikko who charged the athletes to replicate the glitz of the festival’s opening ceremony in their performance during the actual competition.

 

In what was a gathering of personalities and participants from all walks of life, the much talked about opening ceremony lived up to its lofty billing – graced by the powers that be and embraced by a cheering stadium spectators and millions of TV audience across the globe.

 

In the audience were the Governor of Ondo State, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, representative of the Delta State Governor, Senator Emmanuel Aguarivwodo, state sports commissioners from the nine states, members of the National Assembly and top officials of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) led by the Managing Director, Dr Samuel Ogbuku.

 

The showpiece was about the best way to kickstart what promises to be an intense sporting event which is expected to leave a lasting legacy, not only for the host state Akwa Ibom but the Niger Delta region and Nigeria as a whole.

 

Led by the Executive Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Pastor Umo Bassey Eno, no fewer than 10,000 persons defied the torrential downpour that lasted hours to throng into the re-born sporting facility at the heart of the emerging metropolis of Uyo which is gradually becoming the hub of sporting activities in Nigeria.

 

In one voice they sang and danced in the rain to usher in a competition poised to become the major talking point in the discovery of future Kings and Queens of Sports in the continent, especially since the Niger Delta region reserves the right as one that gave birth to some of the best sporting heroes the continent of Africa can ever boast of.

 

Pastor Eno’s commitment to this cause was evident for all on the night, showing everyone why his administration gracefully accepted the hosting rights to stage the festival, stressing that this was just one of his administration’s conscious efforts at promoting sports and giving youths a chance to make a name for themselves and the nation.

 

The festival torch was lit by Olympian, Enefiok Udo-Obong and was supported by Festival Ambassadors including Victor Ikpeba, Seun Ogunkoya, Paralympian Patience Igbiti and Tamunosiki Atorudibo.

 

Afrobeat star, Phyno brought the night to an entertaining close with some of his hit songs which got the athletes cheering, chanting and dancing.

Continue Reading

Trending