Connect with us

Premier League

Liverpool Tracking Prolific Teenage Sunderland Striker

Liverpool Tracking Prolific Teenage Sunderland Striker

Liverpool intend to ‘raid’ Championship high-flyers Sunderland for the signature of 18-year-old academy talent Trey Ogunsuyi, according to reports.

Clubs increasingly want players from a young age and develop them in-house, rather than go into the top of the transfer market for established stars.

As well as identifying local talent that includes poaching academy players from other clubs. To that end, the pearl of Liverpool’s academy is Trey Nyoni, a player brought in from Leicester City at the age of 16. But they certainly aren’t alone in that tactic, with Manchester United notably snapping up prolific prospect Chido Obi-Martin from Arsenal earlier this year.

The Daily Mail writes that the Reds are now monitoring versatile forward Ogunsuyi, who has scored five goals in five appearances at Premier League 2 so far this season, playing with and against players up to several years older.

And while the Belgium junior international is yet to make a senior debut for Sunderland, the youngster has been named on the bench by Regis Le Bris three times.

Sunderland is a club where young players are currently thriving. The Black Cats are aiming to return to the Premier League for the first time since 2017 and are doing it with a raw but talented squad – four of their five most used players so far this season are aged 23 or younger. Of those, two are 19-year-old Jobe Bellingham and 17-year-old Chris Rigg.

Liverpool’s own crop of youngsters also have plenty of promise. Jurgen Klopp famously relied on them during last season’s triumphant Carabao Cup run, although the aforementioned Nyoni is the only teenage to have accrued any first-team minutes so far under Arne Slot.

Premier League

BIG SHOCK! AI Predicts Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City Final Premier League Positions

BIG SHOCK! AI Predicts Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City Final Premier League Positions

The race for Champions League football remains wide open with Nottingham Forest, Chelsea, Manchester City, Newcastle United, Brighton, Fulham, Aston Villa and even ninth placed Bournemouth still in the mix.

The technology then predicted a tighter battle for the top four.

“Manchester City, the defending champions, have had an uncharacteristically poor season,” it said. “However, with players like Erling Haaland and a history of late surges, they could climb back to third or fourth, likely ending with around 75-80 points.

“Chelsea, under Enzo Maresca, have shown a resurgence and could sneak into the top four, possibly third, with their attacking flair and a solid finish to the season so far.”

Grok also stated that Brighton are in with a chance for European football but face some serious competition in the remaining matches.

“Nottingham Forest have been a surprise package,” Grok said. “Their 7-0 thrashing of Brighton in February highlights their potential, but maintaining that form might see them settle in fifth or sixth rather than cracking the top four.

“Newcastle United, Aston Villa, and Brighton are also in the mix for European spots, with Newcastle’s recent upturn and Villa’s Champions League distractions possibly influencing their final positions.”

Brighton and Hove Albion are still in the mix for Champions League football as the Premier League reaches the final stages.

The Seagulls, who along with the rest of the top flight have paused for the international break, are currently seventh in the table and just one point off qualification for Europe’s elite club competition.

There are nine Premier League fixtures remaining for Fabian Hurzeler’s team and they are also through to the quarter-finals of the FA Cup where they face Nottingham Forest on March 29 at the Amex Stadium.

Albion’s next league clash is at home to Aston Villa on April 2, with their remaining matches Crystal Place (a), Leicester City (h), Brentford (a), West Ham (h), Brighton (h), Wolves (a), Liverpool (h) and Tottenham (a).

Hurzeler’s men are however on a good run of form. They have won five and drawn once of their last six and a strong finish could well see them in Europe once again.

The fixtures against Aston Villa, old rivals Palace and Graham Potter’s West Ham could be key to their chances.

It’s a tight race to predict, so Sussex World asked Grok AI, a generative artificial intelligence chatbot developed by xAI, for a Premier League prediction.

Unsurprisingly Grok praised Liverpool and Arne Slot for an “outstanding season” so far and tipped “valiant” Arsenal to finish second.

Here’s Grok’s verdict
1 Liverpool – 94 points 2 Arsenal – 85 points 3 Chelsea – 78 points 4 Manchester City – 76 points 5 Nottingham Forest – 70 points 6 Newcastle United – 68 points.

7 Aston Villa – 65 points, 8 Brighton & Hove Albion – 62 points, 9 Tottenham Hotspur – 60 points, 10 Manchester United – 58 points, 11 Fulham – 54 points,12 Bournemouth – 52 points.

13 Crystal Palace – 50 points, 14 West Ham United – 48 points, 15 Everton – 45 points, 16 Wolverhampton Wanderers – 42 points, 17 Brentford – 40 points, 18 Leicester City – 34 points (Relegated) 19 Southampton – 30 points (Relegated), 20 Ipswich Town – 25 points (Relegated).

Source: sussexexpress

Continue Reading

Premier League

Guardiola Hints At Shock Premier League Return For Rodri

Guardiola Hints At Shock Premier League Return For Rodri

Rodri could be back in action before the end of the Premier League season, Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has revealed.

The Ballon d’Or-winning midfielder, who has initially ruled out for the remainder of the campaign after suffering anterior cruciate ligament damage in September, returned to individual training this week.

While Rodri himself had previously spoken optimistically of playing again this term, Guardiola had been far more cautious, suggesting it was not worth the risk even if possible.

Now it seems, however, that Rodri’s progress has exceeded expectations and he could feature again before the end of the domestic season and play a part at the Club World Cup in the summer.

Guardiola said: “The fans must know they are not the only ones who are excited.

“But one step at a time, we don’t have to make stupid decisions to come back weeks earlier and (suffer) steps back. It’s good but still he’s not close to coming back, I would say.

“But he’s touching the ball and he was in the locker room making touches with the players. He feels confident, he feels more happy.

“I could not expect before (him to return) but maybe before the end of the season – not even the (Club) World Cup – in the Premier League, maybe, it’s going to happen.”

On the downside for City, defender Nathan Ake looks set for another lay-off after being forced off at half-time in Saturday’s 3-1 victory over Plymouth in the FA Cup fifth round.

The Dutchman would join a casualty list that also includes fellow centre-backs John Stones and Manuel Akanji, both of whom are set to miss most of the rest of the season.

Guardiola said: “We’ll do the test but he struggles sometimes with the foot, with the bone, probably.

“It’s been like this the whole season, unfortunately, for the central defenders.

“Hopefully the young ones can sustain it and help us until the end.”

City moved into the FA Cup quarter-finals as they came from behind to see off Championship side Plymouth with a brace from teenager Nico O’Reilly and a further strike from Kevin De Bruyne.

The competition provides an opportunity for City to salvage something from a frustrating campaign in which they have fallen out of Premier League contention early and already exited the Champions League.

Guardiola, however, is not happy with the characteristics of the balls being used in the cup, feeling they behave differently from those used in other elite events.

He said: “The ball is not proper. I’m sorry. For many years it’s happened in the FA Cup and Carabao Cup.

“I know it’s a business and they come to agreements, but the ball is not (good). You know how many shots went over the post? Not just Erling’s (Haaland) – look at other games.

“I’ve said it for many years. It’s the truth. The Champions League ball is exceptional, the Premier League is exceptional, this one is not good.”

 

Continue Reading

Premier League

Liverpool Fans Are Starting To Get Concerned About £150k p/w Star After Wolves Display

Liverpool Fans Are Starting To Get Concerned About £150k p/w Star After Wolves Display

Arne Slot’s arrival at Anfield has sparked a complete transformation in Ryan Gravenberch, who now looks every bit a complete number six and a vital cog in his new manager’s system.

Originally brought in by Jurgen Klopp two summers ago, the Dutchman has seemingly become the beginning, middle, and end of Liverpool’s defensive midfield conundrum.

What was once seen as the Reds’ weakest link – prompting a pursuit of Martin Zubimendi – now appears a problem solved. However, a new concern has emerged: just how much more Gravenberch can endure in Liverpool’s grueling February schedule. With fixture congestion piling up, the Anfield faithful are calling for Slot to give the former Ajax wonderkid a well-earned breather.

Against Wolves, the 22-year-old looked like a shadow of his usual self as Liverpool clung to their 2-1 lead at Anfield. But a deeper dive into his workload this season makes it clear that his recent dip in form is more fatigue than flaw.

Concerns Raised Over Ryan Gravenberch

Gravenberch has been one of two players to reap the rewards of his compatriot’s arrival at Liverpool, alongside Cody Gakpo, who’s flourished since returning to his natural left-wing role. However, unlike his attacking counterpart, the defensive midfielder has rarely had the luxury of a rest, thanks to the lack of depth in his position.

In the 2023/24 season, while Alexis Mac Allister took on the primary number six role, Gravenberch played only 1,121 Premier League minutes. This stands in sharp contrast to this season, where he’s already logged 2,139 minutes in the league, with 14 games still to play.

Easily one of the best midfielders in the world right now, it’s crystal clear to see why Slot has given so much time to Gravenberch, especially since his position has become one of the most important on the pitch.

The confidence and calmness of his displays in the engine room, complemented by his running power that is very reminiscent of a certain Yaya Toure and neat spins reflective of old Anfield favourite Thiago Alcantara, have been a breath of fresh air.

Against Wolves, Gravenberch’s performance seemed like a silent plea for relief. Even the strongest engines need a pit stop, and after committing three fouls, winning just five of his 11 duels, being dispossessed twice, and failing to win a single tackle, it was clear his energy reserves had been drained. The Dutchman’s shields were down in his latest appearance, leaving Liverpool fans urging for him to be rested. Thankfully, a solution is only as far away as the bench.

Givemesport

Continue Reading

Trending