Premier League

Newcastle £55m Bid For Larsen Rejected Wolves

Wolves have rejected a second Newcastle bid for striker Jorgen Strand Larsen, who scored twice in the win over West Ham on Tuesday.

The Magpies had returned with a £55m offer after a £50m approach was turned down earlier this week.

Wolves do not want to sell the Norway international, firstly because of how little time they would have to find a replacement, with the transfer window closing on Monday, and also because of how valuable Strand Larsen is to their Premier League survival chances.

Newcastle are looking for fresh firepower with Alexander Isak trying to engineer a move to Liverpool – the Sweden forward is in a stand-off with the Magpies and yet to play this season.

Strand Larsen, who only made his loan move from Celta Vigo permanent for £23m this summer, came off the bench to score twice in the final eight minutes as Wolves beat West Ham 3-2 in the EFL Cup on Tuesday.

Afterwards, boss Vitor Pereira refused to rule out a sale, even though he wants to keep the forward.

He said: “Football is football and every player has a price, even [Lionel] Messi or Cristiano [Ronaldo]. I understand football but for me it’s very important for us. We will see what happens.

“If it’s my decision, of course [he stays]. He is a very important player.”

Newcastle is an attractive option for Strand Larsen, who scored 14 Premier League goals last season, but he has remained professional and Pereira believes the 25-year-old will not force a move.

He said: “I know a lot of players in my career in this situation and they have asked me not to play but he wants to play every time. He wants to help the team.

“In the last seven or eight months I am with him, I know him very well. He will never force. Of course we know football is football. You must be ready for everything but I want to keep the best players and this kind of player with us.”

When is enough enough for Newcastle?
There was always going to be collateral damage from Isak’s stance at Newcastle and Wolves are feeling that now.

As the striker tries to force a move to Liverpool, the Magpies are still scrambling in the last few days of the transfer window.

They have been interested in Porto’s Samu Aghehowa but have so far balked at the £60m price tag for a 21-year-old who scored 27 times last season.

A move for Brentford’s Yoane Wissa is yet to come off, with the Bees rejecting two bids – the most recent being £40m for last season’s 19-goal forward.

Like Brentford, Wolves have shown resistance in the face of big money after two bids for Strand Larsen and they do not want to sell the 25-year-old.

There is little time in the window to replace the Norway international, especially when Wolves are still looking at bringing in other strikers to support him.

He is their most potent weapon and survival is naturally worth more than the current transfer bids. Losing him would put Wolves’ top-flight status in jeopardy.

His return of 14 goals in 30 Premier League starts during a debut season in England on loan from Celta Vigo helped Wolves survive after Vitor Pereira’s December arrival.

Yet Newcastle’s desperation could see them throw good money after bad. Strand Larsen is a good player but – having joined permanently from Celta for £23m this summer – is he £60m-plus good?

The question is, when do the Magpies decide it is too much or do circumstances dictate they need him whatever the cost?

Bbc.com

Lucky Maurice

Recent Posts

Man Utd One Step Away From Finalising £43m Ederson Transfer As Manager Confirms Talks With ‘Top Club’

Manchester United may finally be ready to fix one of their biggest problems — the…

2 days ago

Pep Guardiola Admits Emotional Manchester City Exit Speech Was ‘A Disaster’

The end of an era at Manchester City is officially here, and even Pep Guardiola…

2 days ago

Man Utd One Step Away From Finalising £43m Ederson Transfer As Manager Confirms Talks With ‘Top Club’

Manchester United look set to make a major statement in the transfer market, with Brazilian…

2 days ago

Martin Odegaard Critics Leave Ex-Premier League And Norway Star ‘Shocked And Surprised’ As Arsenal Captain Has Morphed From ‘Boring’ To ‘Amazing’

Category Football News Arsenal captain Martin Odegaard has once again found himself at the center…

2 days ago

Biggest Regrets? Michael Owen Picks Two Tournaments England’s ‘Golden Generation’ Of David Beckham & Co Should Have Won

Category Football News Former England striker Michael Owen has opened up on the painful near-misses…

2 days ago

The Only Way Alisson Will Leave Liverpool Amid Shock Transfer Talk As John Arne Riise Sounds ‘Nobody’ Warning To The Reds

Category Football News Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson Becker has once again become the subject of transfer…

2 days ago