Former world champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr has been jailed in his native Mexico after his arrest in the United States in July.
The Mexican boxer was arrested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers in Studio City, Los Angeles, five days after fighting Jake Paul in nearby Anaheim.
Mexican prosecutors allege the 39-year-old acted as a henchman for the powerful Sinaloa cartel, which Washington designated a foreign terrorist organisation earlier this year.
He has now been detained in a prison in the northern Mexico state of Sonora, the country’s national arrest registry showed on Tuesday, as he awaits charges.
It said that the boxer was arrested at a checkpoint in the border city of Nogales on Tuesday morning and transferred to a federal institution in Sonora’s capital of Hermosillo.
Mexico’s president Claudia Sheinbaum said in her daily news conference that he had been deported.
She previously said there was a warrant for his arrest for charges of arms trafficking and organised crime, and that prosecutors were working on the case.
The Mexican attorney general’s office declined to comment.
BBC.com
All eyes will be trained towards the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium, Enugu, on Monday 25th May…
Nigeria’s U17 girls, the Flamingos, will depart for Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire on Wednesday morning…
Nigeria will tango with familiar foes and joint-hosts Tanzania, Madagascar and Guinea Bissau in…
Portugal are heading into the 2026 FIFA World Cup with belief, experience and one of…
Arsenal and Netherlands defender Jurrien Timber is now facing a major race against time after…
Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has reportedly been left furious after news of his planned…